Some Fun Little Projects

I will happily fish in the winter, but I have found the line that I will not cross this time of the year: Once it is dark I am done fishing. By the time I finished work and accomplished the errands I needed to run it was pitch black. I was still feeling very fishy, so I settled down to make some fishing gear.

The first project was tying a fly called ‘La Bomba’. Instead of following the suggested materials on the fly pattern, I followed my cheap tendencies and made the materials I currently own work. The beads were from a bracelet making kit I was given, the tails were made from yarn, the legs from silicon bracelet string and the body made from either ostrich herl or some rabbit dubbing. I was proud of how the flies turned out and I can’t wait for the water to be warm enough to get into some bluegill and bass on this pattern.

The next 2 projects brought me over to my 3d printer. I found a design by timebeestudio on thingiverse.com called ‘The Minnow’ that I thought had some fish catching potential. I printed it out and used heavy fishing line to run the hooks through the body of the lure. I haven’t taken this lure on a swimming test yet, but the design does seem to be very sturdy and the body design looks like it should work. I was too lazy to go hunt down treble hooks so I used some size 8 hooks. I then demonstrated my fine art skills and colored in the lure with sharpies.   IMG_9881

The next design was made by lew597 on thingiverse.com called ‘Inline Method Feeder’. I’ve designed and made many method feeders out of wire mesh, wood and plastic over the last year, but this design seemed to be much cleaner than those I have previously made. This design prints fairly well with out support and if printed with PLA it won’t require much weight to settle correctly.  The design has a hollow space on the bottom for you to attach your weight of choice. I coiled up fencing wire and glued it in place, I am assuming that this is a safer alternative than lead, but I haven’t researched to see if that is true yet. I plan to test these out with the carp bait I made recently.

IMG_9884

The final project was inspired by Paul Adams’ videos on youtube. I do not have the materials or the technical ability to create the high quality creations like he does, but his projects always make me want to try for myself. I took the inside container from a kinder egg and sketched out a minion pattern on it. Then I attached a screw eyelet into the bottom and cut craft foam to match the design. The foam was then attached to the container with hot glue and the float tested in a cup of water. I’m happy to report that it floats perfectly and looks just as ridiculous in water as you would expect.

IMG_9879

 

Advertisements

Baking Mistake into Carp Bait

I’ve been baking a lot of bread lately, and due to having an old bread machine, I have had a few loafs just refuse to rise. I hate the idea of throwing out these failed loaves, so I decided it was time to figure out how to use them somehow. Below, you can see the loaf that didn’t rise, but since it is primarily flour I figured I could make carp bait with it.

IMG_9840

I started out wanting to make some boilies, so I took a third of the loaf of bread and tossed it into the food processor. This resulted in a fine, wet, bread crumb.

IMG_9841

Since I use corn in my ground bait, I wanted the bait to be corn based as well. I put roughly a 1/2 cup of corn muffin mix into the blender with the bread crumbs.

IMG_9842

To add more filler agents, I tossed in 2 cups of cooked oatmeal.

IMG_9843

To help the boilies keep their shape and not be to soft when submerged, I put in one egg.

IMG_9844

This was all blended together into a thick paste. I’ve always had good luck with vanilla flavoring in my carp baits, so I put 2 and a 1/2 TBSP of vanilla into the mix.

IMG_9845

This resulted in a slightly sticky dough. I then rolled balls of the dough in either the corn meal mix or the extra bread crumbs. This resulted in balls that hold their shape well, but won’t stick to surfaces.

IMG_9846

I rolled the dough into balls with diameters of 1 inch or smaller. These were then tossed into boiling water for 2 minutes.

IMG_9847

The boilies were then set to rest on a pizza pan to air dry while the rest of the dough was boiled.

IMG_9848

I still had 2/3 of the loaf left, so I made up some ground bait. The rest of the bread was tossed into the food processor with 1 cup of dry oatmeal and 1 cup of corn meal mix. These were bagged and frozen for use as ground bait. When mixed with canned corn, this will result in a soft, easy to shape, and easy to cast ground bait.

IMG_9849

IMG_9850After sitting out for a few hours, the boilies were still softer than I wanted so I tossed them into the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit just long enough for the outsides to toughen up a little (mine needed like 35 minutes).

This one loaf of bread resulted in 4 bags of ground bait and 6 bags of boilies. These have all been tossed in the freezer and should be fine in there for as long as needed and should be fine in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

IMG_9851

When these boilies are tossed among the ground bait, they should be irresistible to hungry carp. This is a phenomenal bait for fishing the Ohio River flood plains in late winter and early spring.